Saturday, January 14, 2012

RIP Garmin Forerunner 305..hello, something new

My Garmin Forerunner 305 disappeared at the bottom of a horse water trough (for real) and I have been sharing Mike's prehistoric Garmin 201 for a few months.  Sharing time is over.  I want my own.

Here's the story.  I was running the trails at Wekiwa Springs State Park last fall with Coco, my pampered muddy buddy.  We were nearing the campground where I typically stop for her to hose down and catch a drink.  As usual, she knew we were close and, being a water-loving pup, she bolted ahead.  When I got to the campground, I found her *in* the horse water trough, swimming around, having a grand time. Then, she realized she couldn't get out. From the outside it looked like the trough is a fairly shallow barrel -- maybe 24 inches deep -- and that she should be able to get out on her own.  However, as I discovered, it's actually much deeper -- it is buried at least another foot in the ground.  Coco couldn't get out, so I tried scooping her up.  The first time I tried, she slipped, and my hand/wrist banged against the side of the barrel.  The second time I got a better grip on her torso and was able to get her out.

I'd been using the Garmin Forerunner Quick Release Kit for some time to enable easy snap-in/snap-out from my bike to the running wristband.  This was a pretty cool doo-hickey -- very simple, and let me use my Garmin as my bike computer and running watch.  I was really pleased with it.

I first realized there might be an issue with the release feature of this kit when I was walking across the Fayette Street bridge in West Conshohoken, PA with Mike.  We were strolling along, and I hit my wrist on the bridge guard rail and the business part of the watch popped out of the quick release wristband, falling on the bridge, inches from going into the river.  Mental note made to be more careful.

Well, when it came to rescuing my pup, being careful went out the window.  When I bumped my wrist on the water trough, it fell into the contained murky abyss.  When my pup was safely out, I got a long branch and poked around the bottom.  It was...gooey.  I scraped around, trying to find the watch.  No luck.  I realized that I could probably reach the sludge with my hand if I leaned somewhat into the barrel.  After mustering up significant courage, I tried.  I moved my fingers through the sludge, trying to find the watch.  It was, after all, water resistant, and probably still functioning.  After a few passes through the sludge, visions of snakes and alligators started coming to mind.  The barrel was contained and, at most, there would be snakes, but once the thought was there I couldn't get past it.  I let go of the seemingly futile effort and walked away.  I hosed off my pup, and walked back to the car with my tail between my legs.  Hrumph.

So, I've now suffered enough.  It's time for a new watch.  Not sure what, yet, except that it needs to be ANT compatible to work with my bike.  This time, I won't be using the quick release kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment