Sunday, January 15, 2012

Back in the saddle - with no Glide

My goal, with this blog was to make regular, timely posts with regard to my training. I hoped that by keeping a public listing of what I do, I'd be motivated to get out there and not disappoint everyone by missing a workout.

That does not appear to have happened.

Well, starting today (actually, yesterday). I'm recommitting myself to not only working our regularly, but to also post here so that my fans will know what's happening.

Ok, 'fan'.

Ok, my wife.

In any case, with the recent, and unexpected (by me), drop in temperature over the past couple of days, we've had some of the greatest running weather we've seen in the past several months. For me, being a native Floridian, it's not just about temperature, and humidity, but it's also about sunlight. So, even with the temperature topping out at about 60 degrees, and a super-nice 40% humidity level, it's got to be sunny for me to be truly motivated to run. Picky, yes, but it's the way I'm wired. I like to say that I'm solar powered.

So, when I got out yesterday, and there wasn't a cloud in the sky, and the air was crisp and dry. I knew it was going to be a great run.

My plan was to get out, do a quick three, and get back so Laura could get out and go to the gym for a swim workout (and some non-three-year-old time), but the weather got the better of me, and I ended up doing four. I think because I rushed to get out the door, however, or maybe because I'm out of practice with my running, I missed a vital step in preparation: the ever important "Glide application".

Body glide, like tech shirts, is a wonderful, wonderful thing. It's one of those things that you only really, REALLY notice when you don't have it. Yesterday proved to be one of those days for me. I was about 2 1/2 or 3 miles when I realized I had some chub-rub issues. So, being nearly done with my run, I pushed through it, and figured that I'd just deal with the consequences. In the end, it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be (not as bad as when I forgot it for the Disney 1/2 marathon). Though, it was a painful reminder to make sure you don't miss any steps of the pre-run process. You may be missing something important.

No comments:

Post a Comment