Friday, December 30, 2011

Morning revelation

As the new year approaches, here's to a positive outlook, healthy habits, and enjoying the richness of life's blessings in each new day.

View from the top of Estes Cone
Image source: ProTrails
One of the things that helps me improve my outlook on life and appreciate the grandness of the world we live in is thinking about Rocky Mountain National Park (RMNP), which is, unquestionably, my favorite place on earth.  Located in the heart of the Rockies in north central Colorado, I am determined that RMNP will one day be my back yard.

Big Thompson Canyon
Image source: Wikimedia Commons
Until I have my dream house in the Rockies, I savor the many times I was able to visit the park while growing up in nearby Fort Collins, CO. I think about the gorgeous drive up Big Thompson Canyon between Loveland and Estes Park, the eastern entry point into the park, and the majesty of RMNP as soon as you enter the park's gates.

I think too of my amazing husband, who, knowing how much I love RMNP, proposed at the top of Estes Cone in August 2004. The Estes Cone hike starts at the Longs Peak trailhead at 9,425 feet above sea level and, over the course of three miles, gains a net of 1,577 feet in elevation top top out at 11,002 feet. The view from the top of Estes Cone is astounding, with 360-degree, spectacular views of the Rockies.

For our 10-year anniversary in June 2005, I hope we can hike Estes Cone again, or even take on the longer, more technical Longs Peak hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment